I just wanted to mention Tuesday right quick. I had decided I wanted to do FIAR somewhat this year and wrote it in to start Monday, but since we did so much on the lapbook and all, we didn't get to it. Tuesday I got out the Madeline book. I can't believe I had never read this book to SweetPea. Monkey loved Madeline when she was younger. (I am REALLY surprised that she had not read the book to SweetPea) Anyway, SweetPea absolutely loved the book. She really loves rhyming stories. We found Paris on the globe and NC on the globe and we talked about how she might travel to go visit Madeline and how far it really is to Paris from here. (She recommended that we drive up to Nunavut then jump across to Greenland, then jump to Iceland, then a BIG jump to Ireland , and one more small jump to France) It's always cute when they seriously believe we could do that. We also talked about symmetry and size comparison. I found a Madeline DVD at the thrift store here in town for $2. We watched that and talked about some of the similarities and differences between the DVD and the book. The world has a new Madeline fan!
Is it a bad thing if we don't do full fledged FIAR? Should I not even say I am doing FIAR? Maybe I should say I am doing Two In A Row, since I can tell we won't do the same book for 5 days, two is enough (for me.) I guess we'll just have to see....
2 comments:
Wow...it sounds like a good thing. I loved the Madeline story when I was a kid, and I believe you did too.:)
I don't know what FIAR is, but I suspect if you're doing it, that's a good thing. :)
~raven
FIAR is Five In A Row. It is a curriculum of sorts. Each volume has a list of books and it shows how to take those books and teach all major subjects with each of those books. It's called Five In A Row because they recommend that you read the book with your child five days in a row, each day focusing on something different in the book, like the artwork, the writing style, things like that. Pretty neat, but reading the same book so many times can get a bit..dull. When I have gotten what I wanted to get out of the book, we move on. This week's had a bit more, so we were able to use it for 4 days, though we only read it 3 days. You know how I am, I like to take something and tweak it, make it my own.
Post a Comment