Friday, August 29, 2008

Friday

Woo hoo- week 1 is done! I am just proud of us that we stuck with it for the whole week! Last year doing preschool, we did about 3 days a week (including co-op), but it never seemed to be the same 3 days, nor were they structured at all. So 1 week is good for us! Of course we did have that midweek fieldtrip- but hey, I'm pleased with the week. Today we re-read Madeline, this time at a slower pace, paying closer attention to things in the book. I had printed out the sheet of Madeline cards to go along with the math from the FIAR book, and we used them to act out the story. We used them again at math time for addition manipulatives. SweetPea liked that at first, but then she wanted to use the number line again. Of course we pulled that out and used it. I showed her how no matter what order you added the numbers in you'd get the same answer, and how much easier it is to start with the larger number. So we covered comparing numbers, adding using manipulatives, adding using a number line, and adding in our heads. (adding in our head was just with a 1 as one of the addends) We worked on filling in the missing number, like 4,_,6 or 13,_,15. She did quite well with that. We also made flash cards for the 1s (from 1+1 to 1+12 I forgot to make a 1+0 card, but we'll do that on Tuesday)
Hmm, I guess math time was a bit extensive today, we also worked with reading a clock. I wasn't planning to cover that just yet, but it seemed appropriate to do while reading Madeline (since they left each day at half past nine- in rain or shine.) We talked about what half past meant. My mil had given me an old clock to use for this, so we brought that out. SweetPea enjoyed changing the time herself. She has the o'clock thing down pat, and we worked for a few minutes on :30 until she seemed to lose interest, and so we set it aside.
I did manage to convince her to practice her handwriting and she did pretty well. I hope she will come to enjoy it by the time we start doing copywork. Right now she is pretty much just practicing her alphabet. "Aa" on Monday, "Aa" and "Bb" on Tuesday, etc.
We also read From Head To Toe by Eric Carle. I can't say this was one of my favorites, but it could have been worse. For SweetPea's turn to read, she read Clifford Visits the Hospital, and Waiting For Christmas. She did a GREAT job on them!

No comments: