Friday, October 31, 2008

Quick Summary

Just a quick summary of the week- we did finish the Goldilocks pocket. See the pics below. We finished studying pumpkins- we studied the life cycle of a pumpkin, and we did pumpkin math. SweetPea and Monkey did the pumpkin math together. They both guessed the weight of the pumpkin we bought, and guessed how many seeds were inside. Monkey guessed that the pumpkin weighed 7 lbs and SweetPea guessed that it weighed 100 lbs. Monkey guessed there were 279 seeds, Sweet Pea guessed 18 seeds.
We weighed the pumpkin and its actual weight was 11.0 lbs. I cut the top off the pumpkin and let the girls get the seeds out. Are you surprised that SweetPea would not touch the guts? I wasn't either ;) She did reach in once, felt the slimy goo, and refused to reach in again. Even with Monkey reaching in with her hands, SweetPea still would have no part of it. I got her a spoon and she was happy to dig the seeds out. Together they drew the face they wanted on the pumpkin and I carved it out. We came inside and washed the seeds. I drew circles on construction paper so they could group the seeds in 10s for quicker counting. SweetPea counted by 10s when they finished sorting. We had 529 seeds! When we came into the livingroom afterwards we were surprised to find one more pumpkin seed on the couch (we think it had been in SweetPea's sleeve). Our official total is now 530 seeds!

Next week we will start our month-long study of Thanksgiving!

Three bears and their house

Goldi Lit Pocket

Five Lttle Pumpkins puppet show
Five Little Pumpkins

1 comment:

Grandma said...

Those are cute pumpkin faces on the top of the fence!
I enjoyed the pictures of the pumkin drawing, etc.