Monday, October 6, 2008

The Gingerbread Man

We decided to do school on Saturday this past weekend. We wanted to start covering the Gingerbread Man while Daddy was home so that he could be with us to make gingerbread cookies. We made them as a family, it was lots of fun.
Today we read 2 more versions of the Gingerbread Man and compared them with each other and with the one we read on Saturday. The biggest difference was that the one from Saturday was somewhat abbreviated and while it did mention all of the same characters, it mentinoned most of them in a lump sum, so you did not get to repeat the famous line as much. "Run, run, as fast as you can. You can't catch me, I'm the Gingerbread Man!" That is the best part! SweetPea made a gingerbread man puppet today to use in a retelling of the story. We worked on the Literature pocket too.
SweetPea asked me awhile back if she could have a list of what she is going to do in school each day, and I finally got around to making one up for her. She is a bit like her mother in that she likes to check things off the list so she will know when she is "done" for the day. It actually helped me too because I can look at it and see what we ARE doing and also see what we are NOT doing. (I know what you are thinking *duh*) Really though, sometimes you can convince yourself that you are doing all you need to do since it takes you 2 hours to cover it all when in fact you are leaving out something important and replacing it with "fluff". I did not lay it out in subject format because it is hard to separate it all out when you do a unit study. I mostly have it separated by the different books we are using for the week. Now each week I can change the title along the left-hand side to what we will be using that week (if it needs changing). This is also helping by letting me see at a glance what supplies I need. I am glad she asked for this list! (Just as an aside, I have been scheduling all along, but it's just been notes here and there, mostly in shorthand-which I then sometimes forget what I was meaning!)

No comments: