Thursday, January 29, 2009

Last week of January already?

Okay, so SweetPea doesn't like math anymore. Oops. She felt like she had to do too much work with the Math U See. We are at a standstill anyway, because we are not supposed to progress until she has mastered what we have been working on. We are stuck on the learning of the math facts. We can't seem to get past 2 + 3. Now she is very able to figure out the answer, in her head, without counting on her fingers or anything, but she has not memorized them. She does not like flashcards either. I found some Disney Princess ones at the Dollar Tree, so I think I will try them to see if she will use them. Yes, I know I can force her, but I really really want her to want to do this. We are just playing several games a day now to try to reinforce these facts.
This week we have two themes going. "It's About Time" and "I Hear Music" are our themes. "It's About Time" is about, well, time. We are learning time at least to the half hour. We might come back in April to learn about telling time to the quarter hour, but if not, it will be on the fall schedule. We are also reemphasizing the days of the week and months of the year.
"I Hear Music", yep, you guessed it, it's about music. We are discussing the different instrument families, rhythm, tempo, etc. It is kind of basic, like an intro to music, but we have been enjoying it.

1 comment:

Grandma said...

It's a great idea to play games to reinforce the facts. Let me know if I can help. SweetPea does seem to love music so she should do really well with this theme.